NORTH AFRICAN SWEET POTATO MEAT PIE
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 (16.00 ounces) cans sweet potatoes, drained well
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk (not skim)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh onion
1 dash Tabasco sauce, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, stir together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, allspice, nutmeg, pepper, cayenne, and 1 tsp of salt.
3. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate up to the rim; refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in another large bowl mash together the sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients and the remaining 1/2 tsp salt with a potato masher until mixture is smooth.
5. Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the uncooked meat shell.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Makes 4 to 6 servings (depending on how hungry you are!).