Saturday, October 13, 2012
MOROCCAN SPICE BRAISED CHICKEN WITH DATES AND ALMONDS
* 3 1/2 pounds chicken parts
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large onion,halved, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Turmeric
* 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup pitted and quartered dates, (about 6 ounces)
* 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds
1.Coat chicken with flour. Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half of the chicken; brown about 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. Repeat browning step with remaining chicken, adding onion. Return all chicken to skillet.
2. Combine cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and turmeric in a small bowl; add to chicken. Stir to evenly coat chicken and onions with spices; sauté 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir in broth, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in dates and almonds and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.