Monday, September 10, 2012
COCONUT ALMOND POUND CAKE
Makes 2 loaves
* 1 cup vegetable shortening
* 2 cups sugar
* 5 eggs, beaten
* 2 cups flour
* 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1-1/3 cups coconut flakes (one 4-ounce can)
* 1 tablespoon coconut extract
* 1-1/2 cups Glaze ( see below )
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two standard loaf pans (9 x 5 x 3-inch).
2. Beat shortening and sugar together. Beat in eggs.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Alternately add flour mixture and the buttermilk to the sugar mixture, stirring vigorously.
4. Fold in coconut flakes and coconut extract. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
5. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes. Poke many holes on top of each loaf with a toothpick or a bamboo skewer and pour half the glaze on each cake. Cool another 10 minutes and remove from pan to a cooling rack to completely cool.
Makes 1-1/2 cups
* 1 cup water
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
2. Boil 2 minutes and remove from heat.
3. Cool slightly and pour over cakes that have been punctured with a toothpick or skewer.