AL BURTUGAL WAL ZABIB AL MUTABAL
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2/3 Cup Golden Raisins ( Sultanas )
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 3 large oranges
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, allspice and ginger.
- Simmer over medium heat about 10 minutes until syrup is thickened.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Cut peel and pith from oranges.
- Slice oranges into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Cut rounds into halves or quarters and place in medium bowl.
- Pour cooled raisins and syrup over oranges and stir gently.
- Chill 2 hours or overnight.Serve over ice cream or cake.Makes 4-6 servings.